Here are 10 of the most intriguing animal, human and plant cryptids which many believe exist and in which the proof is mounting or highly pursued.
Cryptids are animals or plants (and sometimes humans) studied under the field of cryptozoology, a pseudoscience. Cryptids are, for the most part, creatures of myth and legend, creatures thought to be extinct but which some say may still exist, or animals thought to have have taken new evolutionary paths and evolved from previously existing creatures into new variations.
The status of many cryptids falls into six categories:
• Unconfirmed – cryptids whose existence is alleged but not demonstrated.
• Disputed – cryptids that have a body of evidence against their existence.
• Proposed [animal name] – cryptids with an alternative explanation accepted by the general scientific community.
• Extinct – animals that are generally believed to be extinct, but which cryptozoologists believe may have an extant relict population.
• Confirmed [animal name or cause] – animals once classified as cryptids but whose existence has now been confirmed.
• Hoax – cryptids once thought to be real but later conclusively proven to be hoaxes.
This video investigates the following Cryptids: Jersey Devil, Globster, Maltese (or Blue) Tiger, Loch Ness Monster, Canvey Island Monster, Ahool, Nunda, Acurinis, Chupacabra, Bigfoot/Yeti/Sasquatch.
Sign up for the Grabberwocky daily email, see everything first!